UKSA 2012: Results

S&P have put up the results for this year’s UKSA here

I weighed in at 105.0kg, so definitely in the over 90kg category. Got my XL t-shirt and sat around for a while warming up.

The 35-40 minutes between events was tough to keep warmed up, but the total of 3 minutes competing in events was still worth it.

I came 9th overall, which was disappointing, but I didn’t put enough effort into specifically training for UKSA to complain about that result.

Videos of the 5 events are posted.

The event itself was well organised, with around 50 competitors for each event with smooth changes between rounds, despite the double booking mess up by the venue.

If I’m still eligible I’ll try again next year and hopefully a house purchase won’t interrupt my training plans!

UKSA 2012: Axle Press 80kg

Adam Bell: 80kg Thick Axle Overhead Press for Reps (60 secs limit) Managed 10, almost 11..

I expected to get tired before the time limit – did better than I was expecting – I wanted 7 or 8 reps

UKSA 2012: Farmers Walk 90kg

Farmers walk 90kg each hand for 40 metres, one turn, dropped once :(

 

Better than last year, but not good enough – I didn’t practice this for the full distance which would’ve helped…

UKSA 2012: Arm over Arm Sled Pull

120kg Sled, 25 Metre rope

 

The rope on this seems to be thicker than last year. The whole competition was much more taxing on grip than I remember from 2011.

UKSA 2012: Tyre Flip and Sprint

250kg Tyre, flip x 4 with sprints in between

UKSA 2012: Medley

This was my favourite event last year and the only one that I think really tested athleticism.

 

I was too complacent with my training and expected the same entrants from last year, so I didn’t do as well as I hoped.

 

55kg Keg 80 or 90kg Sandbag and 160kg Sled

Lift Goals – 2012

I started the year on 165kg Squat / 135kg Bench /  210kg Deadlift and set myself longer goals this time, for the whole year.

Since I’ve been training for strength for 2 years I expected a massive slowdown in weight increases, but some changes in programming and workout volume, I’ve done more than I expected.

Original Goals:

By January 2013 I was looking to get 200kg Squat / 150kg Bench and a 250kg Deadlift.

It’s 6 months into the year and I’ve got the squat and bench done, and up to 230kg for deadlift.

I’m not going to increase my goals, I’ll just see where I end up at the end of the year and be more accurate next year!

 

Virtualmin Suexec Problem

Setting up an in house webserver for development, with a bit more power.

I’ve decided to use webmin for managing it, to give less technical users an interface for managing sites.

I had to find this in order to get PHP working properly with the defaults.

http://caleudum.com/virtualmin-suexec-problem/

The Suexec command on your system is configured to only run scripts under /var/www, but the Virtualmin base directory is /home. CGI and PHP scripts run as domain owners will not be executed.

to solve this problem

1. install custom version of suexec
apt-get install apache2-suexec-custom
2. modify /etc/apache2/suexec/www-data
nano /etc/apache2/suexec/www-data
3. change first line /var/www to /home

 

Plesk 10.4 – settings will be applied in 16666 minutes

Having upgraded to a new version of plesk, from 9 to 10.4 (I know there are more upgrades ahead!) i’ve been having a few problems adjusting.

This was more of an annoyance than a problem, each time I updated a configuration item on a domain, the settings werent updated. I had to SSH in and run `apachectl restart`.

Finally googled the problem and found this: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=208708

The default setting appears to be 999999 seconds… I’ve updated that and now it’s one more niggle gone.

Plesk Annoyances 10.4.4: PHP Error Log not working

Having upgraded to Plesk 10.4, I was happy to see the new “PHP Settings” tab under the domain settings, this has stopped me having to create a vhost.conf manually and filling it with more sensible options for larger sites.

However, it took me 45 minutes to figure out why my error logging wasnt working (hard to figure out when there are no errors showing up)

Setting the error reporting options through plesk doesn’t seem to work correctly. The settings look right through phpinfo() but nothing gets put out, even with trigger_error();

I need to look further into why this breaks, so I can ensure the same configuration problem doesn’t get made on other sites on the server.

tl;dr solution:
Setting log_errors to “Default” and error_reporting to “Default” on the domain’s PHP settings page resolved the problem for me.